REDMOND, USA – June 29, 2016 – Microsoft Corp. today announced that the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is coming to Windows 10 devices for free on August 2.
Windows 10 continues to be the fastest growing version of Windows ever and is now running on more than 350 million devices.
The Windows 10 Anniversary Update has all-new breakthrough features that bring Windows Ink and Cortana to the mainstream; a faster, more accessible and more power-efficient Microsoft Edge browser; advanced security features for consumers and enterprises; all new gaming experiences and new tools for the modern classroom.
* Windows Ink: an all-new experience that brings the power of Windows to the tip of your pen, enables people to write on a device as they would do on paper. Integration with Office and other applications like Microsoft Edge and Maps bring the power of inking everywhere.
* Improvements to Cortana: the world’s most productive personal digital assistant gets even better with access above the lock screen, more ways to remember with the ability for Cortana to save and recall information, and synchronize across devices.
* An even better gaming experience: With Xbox Play Anywhere, gamers can buy a game once and play on a Windows 10 PC or Xbox One with shared progress, shared game saves and share achievements. Cortana is also now available on Xbox One to help gamers find great new games, see what friends are up to, start a party, accomplish common tasks, and turn on Xbox One by saying “Hey Cortana, Xbox On” if using Kinect.
* Increased power efficiency, extensions and accessibility with Microsoft Edge: The Anniversary Update includes even more power-saving improvements in Microsoft Edge, minimizing the impact of background activity on battery life.
* New Innovations for the Modern Classroom: The Windows 10 Anniversary Update also brings new innovations for the modern classroom, including faster, simpler set up with all new tools to help educators get up and running quickly.
* More security features in the Anniversary Update for the most secure Windows: The Anniversary Update brings two new security benefits for enterprise customers. Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection, designed to detect, investigate and respond to malicious attacks through expert advanced threat protection, including a team of security researchers at Microsoft; and Windows Information Protection to protect businesses from accidental data leaks by separating personal and organizational data where ever it goes.
Additional security improvements include Windows Hello secure and password-free sign-in to apps like iHeartRadio and websites using Microsoft Edge; and Windows Defender antimalware improvements with option to automatically schedule periodic quick scans of your PC, providing summaries when scans are complete and notifications if scans find any threats. Additional assets can be found at Microsoft News Center and www.windows.com.